Subject: Re: Color X question
To: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Dan Jacobowitz <youngdrow@mail.geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/1996 22:22:00
At 12:19 PM -0500 10/13/96, M.R. Zucca wrote:
>   <http://www.geocities.com> Postage paid by:
>
>>I saw, on ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit/, a custom kernel and
>>X build for color on NuBus video.  Is the source to the _kernel_ available
>>anywhere?  Have these features been merged into any of the other kernels?
>>As it is, I'm thinking of trying (emphasis on TRYING) to adapt it to
>>internal video on my LCIII.
>
>I'm already working on an internal video driver and it should work on the LC
>class machines. I'll be sending around a "proof of concept" kernel as soon
>as I get some interrupt issues worked out. If your machine works on this
>kernel then the driver kernel that I'll put out after should work on
>your machine as well.
>
>The first round of really useable kernels should be able to run color X
>right off. However, there is a severe caveat for 68030 machines running
>color X: don't expect it to be bearable.

My real question is, will intvidtest roll in the code from ADBTEST?  I
can't boot any other kernel on my machine besides ADBTEST, of the ones that
I've tried.  I haven't tried the intvidtest, though, as until it offers
color it gives me nothing I don't have.

If it doesn't, I'm going to be stuck adding the two together myself, I'm
afraid.  Oh well, I guess I finally have to make room on my drive for
kernel source(s).

This is sort of a signature.