Subject: Re: Color X question
To: Dan Jacobowitz <youngdrow@mail.geocities.com>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/1996 12:19:58
>I saw, on ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit/, a custom kernel and
>X build for color on NuBus video.  Is the source to the _kernel_ available
>anywhere?  Have these features been merged into any of the other kernels?
>As it is, I'm thinking of trying (emphasis on TRYING) to adapt it to
>internal video on my LCIII.

I'm already working on an internal video driver and it should work on the LC
class machines. I'll be sending around a "proof of concept" kernel as soon
as I get some interrupt issues worked out. If your machine works on this
kernel then the driver kernel that I'll put out after should work on
your machine as well.

The first round of really useable kernels should be able to run color X
right off. However, there is a severe caveat for 68030 machines running
color X: don't expect it to be bearable.

I ran X in black and white on a Sun 3/80 and that was acceptable performance.
Color was slow. Even on my friend's 486/40 Linux box, color X runs only
bearably. I would imagine that color internal and NuBus video will only be
a boon to people with 68040's.

However, after I finish the video driver I'd like to work on a color version
of dt. This is sort of window dressing but it'll be nice to set the background
and foreground colors. We can also get colored directories a la linux if a
few other tools are updated.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill