Subject: Re: disklabel
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1996 18:03:56
Sean wrote:

>Why is it that I get conflicting opinions from the MacOS Mkfs
>utility and the kernel about the number of sectors/track on my SCSI
>disks?  Should I trust Mkfs and write a correct disklabel to the disk
>or is this a bad idea?  BTW, I newfs'd all of my filesystems
>except for the root, and supplied the sectors/track to it through
>the -u flag.  Haven't seen any problems yet.

I'm curious, is the SCSI disk in question a removable?  In reading
through the SCSI-2 documentation I see the Mode Sense command can extract
parameters from three different sets, the "Current", "Saved", and
"Default" values.  Mkfs always extracts the "Current" set, and I'm
thinking that for removable media which hasn't had a "Saved" set written,
these will be zero or undefined. If I'm correct, we should be extracting
the "Default" set for removable media if the "Current" set returns zero
or undefined values.  I'd like to check it out, but I don't have a Zip or
SyQuest drive.  I haven't looked into the type of values being extracted
my "newfs" running under NetBSD though, so I may be off base here.  Can
anybody else shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
-bob