Subject: Re: Mkfs fails if SCSI ID !=0 ?
To: Stephen J. Alexander <Stephen.J.Alexander@Dartmouth.EDU>
From: Mark Heinze <mheinze@encore.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1996 10:34:31
> Yesterday as I was installing 1.2 (I'm a total newbie to macbsd) I ran into a
> spot of trouble with Mkfs. I was getting 'Error on SCSIselect(), 2' etc when
> the drive I was installing to was on ID 1, no problem on ID 0. I wasn't able to
> try other IDs as the drive is a little wonky... but anyway, has anyone seen
> this before? If it's important, I was installing from a Performa 636/601
> upgrade running 7.5.5. The install-to disk is a Quantum 425S. Now that I've

I too ran into a similar problem.  I was trying to use the MacOS version
of mkfs when I kept getting the Error on SCSISelect(), #2 message.  I can
put up all the lines if needed (about 5 additional lines after this).
This was on a ZIP drive in SCSI device 5.  (6 being my internal drive)

*However*, I did manage to get it to work fine by accident.  While
playing around I selected SCSI device 6 and then back to 5 (the ZIP
disk).  After doing this mkfs ignored the error chalking it up to phasing
or something along those lines and then works great.  This did cause a bit
of a headache for a couple of days as I thought the partitioning software
or the Iomega driver was causing the problem.

I'm not really sure who to write about this but if anyone wants me to do
more testing feel free to let me know.  This is my first installation of
NetBSD and so far it hasn't exactly been smooth, but I think I'll be
happy once I get it running!  Oh, the computer is a IIcx w/ 20 meg RAM
and a 105 Meg internal HD running System 7.0.x

-mark
                                    Encore Computer Corporation
                                    901 Kildaire Farm Rd. - Bldg. D
Mark Heinze                         Cary, NC  27511
email: mheinze@encore.com           Telephone: (919) 481-3730