Subject: Re: where's secr11 for MacBSD?
To: None <news@maple-gw.maple.or.jp>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1996 01:57:17
On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Steven Campbell wrote:

> Hi, I'm a resident of Canada, and I'm looking for the secr11 archive for
> NetBSD 1.2.  I need it to get hclnfsd ( the updated bwnfsd ) going for
> authentication on my NetBSD box from a NFS/Share 4 client.

You should be able to find the secr set on ftp.macbsd.com in the
eskimo.copy directory, if you need it.  However, realize that there is an
exportable (encrypting-only) version of crypt(3) included with
distribution as found on ftp.netbsd.org.  It's found in libcrypt (i.e. you
will need to specify -lcrypt when linking the package).

> Also, what do I need to change to have a cache card be used on a IIci
> running NetBSD 1.2?  I've heard there are some changes that one must make
> for NetBSD to utilize the cache card, but I don't recall ever seeing
> exactly what those changes were.

Well, in via.c there's a line of code to disable the cache card (it's
commented, too!).  You'd need to either remove or comment out or
#if-bracket out this line.  WARNING: the operation of the cache card is
not entirely understood, but what little we know about it suggests that
there could be problems enabling it when using the ncrscsi driver.  The
same would affect the sbc driver if you operated it in the interrupt-
driven mode, as well, but you can't do that yet.

I'd like to pursue this issue a bit more, if someone has the time to do
some experiments for me.

--scott