Subject: Re: floppy ioctls
To: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 13:31:51
> > The former is more correct.  With floppies, the disklabel is mostly a
> > formality that you have to stick with.
> >
> > Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
>
> Thanx for the clarification. I shall do b).

But if the different fd's specify different densities, would that mean
that the disklabel from fd0a and fd0b would be different?

Also, for Mac disks, we can tell the difference between 400K, 800K, and
1.44 M (I know that's SIWM, but we'll eventually get there!). Also, since
we know when disks get inserted, we know when we should check the format
again.

Another idea is, if we really wanted to support partitions on the floppies,
we could overload the minor # of the device. Since MAXMAXPARTITIONS is
22 (# that will fit in a 512 byte block), we could let the lower 5
bits (0-31) refer to partition #, and some upper bits (still in the
minor dev #) specify the density. Or the lower bits specify the density
and upper bits specify the partition. ??

Take care,

Bill