Subject: Are NetBSD and the MacOS in perpetual battle over the clock?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1996 11:38:15
When I boot NetBSD 1.2, the time is all whacko.  At the moment I do an
"rdate" of a Stratum 2 NTP server closeby at the end of /etc/rc.local to
set things to right.  But if I then reboot, the MacOS time is correct in
the minutes (and seconds), but it's 14 hours ahead of proper local time!
Since I'm currently at +7 hours from GMT/UTC, this makes no sense to me.
So, of course, I go into the "Date & Time" Control Panel and fix it.  Sure
enough, if I then boot NetBSD the clock is all off again - only now (last time
I checked), the NetBSD clock time was like 4 hours and 30-odd minutes away
(I forget which direction) from the correct time!  I always see stuff like

PRAM: 0x325c68fb, macos_boottime: 0x325c68f0.
WARNING: Battery clock has earlier time than UNIX fs.

Should I try zapping the PRAM?  Or is this just "one of those things" that
I'll perpetually need to keep readjusting, depending on the environment?  :-(
It's a pain, not to mention the fact that it means the timestamp messages are
wrong until the "rdate" kicks in.

	- Greg