Subject: Re: Installation Help Idea...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1996 23:25:59
>An installer that automagically downloads the correct files for
>installation for you, including the kernel, via ftp, pinging all the known
>mirrors first, to find the fastest connection, and even comparing the
>download speed to the speed of the computer (fake an equation) and
>download in parallel from separate sites if your computer exceeds the
>speed of the link by a factor of say... 2 or more.

We're lucky in that the set of 68k macs is finite and will remain that way.
Once all of the 68k Macs can be booted reliably then we can work on advanced
installer agents that do everything. This would be the "crowning achievement"
for the MacBSD project...right up there with getting a IIfx to boot :)

With 500 xxxtest kernels floating around it would be nice if we could
at least get all the machine types booting with the basics of ADB, B/W internal
video, and SCSI or IDE as the case may be. That way, one GENERIC kernel can
be included in the installer package. The actual easing of installation is
just window-dressing on the current installer/mkfs stuff.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill