Subject: Re: Maxapplezoom
To: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1996 09:03:54
On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> MaxApplZoom works by modifying all the OS tables after
> boot is underway.  The booter and DT work by looking at MacOS, while X
> looks directly at the card.

Nice theory, but wrong. :-)

Both X and dt should be looking to the kernel (via an ioctl()), which in
turn has extracted information from the card.  I don't see any place where
either application could pick up the information passed in from the Booter
on a NuBus video card.  (However, internal video does indeed use this
information!)

The ite (console) driver uses the Booter values, so it's not surprising
that it sees the extra space.

--scott