Subject: Re: Demand-dial PPP
To: Aaron Mansheim <a-manshe@runet.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1996 20:51:24
> How do I get demand-dial PPP?

The current answer to this one is to read the pppd man page ;-)

> I have an SE/30 with the 1.2_BETA (GENERICSBC) #2 Jul 18 kernel,
> running on a Quantum ELS170 4.2 drive. If I have to replace my kernel,
> I will need the SBC SCSI driver. (Wouldn't it be nice if there were
> a CGI somewhere that would tell what kernel your hardware requires?)
> I have the 1.1 release tarballs.

Once all the info is in about the 1.2 kernel and the latest batch of
ADBTEST kernels, I'll see if I can update the machine-status page (and
get rid of a few of the more confusing columns ;-)

> If someone can give a general answer, I hope it will get into
> the FAQ. I've also looked at the *BSD FAQ.

John Wittkoski has promised a revised PPP howto sometime in the future.
Perhaps it will contain a demand-dial ppp section.

In general, I'd like to keep as little as possible architecturally
independent info in the FAQ, leaving that to the *BSD FAQ.  PPP generally
falls under this category.

Later.