Subject: floppy ioctls, was: Disklabel(5)/(8) ??
To: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1996 20:43:57
> Can't you pretty much skip the disklabel on the floppys? It seems to me that
> floppy disks aren't going to vary as much as SCSI disks. Why not just format
> the disk and then just heap the filesystem onto the floppy like it's one
> big partition?

Sure I can. After all, it's a bit early for details like these - they
may wait till I have real, solid read/write code.

> BTW, what kind of ioctls can we expect for a floppy, if I might be so bold?
> We'll have to start porting hfsutils :)

DIOCEJECT:      /* eject disk */
DIOCSRETRIES:   /* set max. retries */
DIOCSSTEP:      /* set step delay */
DIOCGDINFO:     /* get in-core disklabel */
DIOCGPART:      /* get in-core partition info */
DIOCWDINFO:
DIOCSDINFO:     /* set in-core disklabel */
DIOCWLABEL:

-- see arch/{atari,amiga,i386,sparc,x68k}/dev/fd.c  :)

        hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down"  (DEVO)