Subject: disk space for X (was Demand-dial PPP)
To: None <a-manshe@runet.edu>
From: David G. Wonnacott <davew@trigati.cs.haverford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1996 14:02:30
   From: Aaron Mansheim <a-manshe@runet.edu>
   Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 10:58:01 -0400 (EDT)

   I don't use my MacBSD machine much lately, partly because I
   have to become root to get connected -- it's quicker to use a term
   emulator on my roommate's Windoze machine. I'm sure I'd use MacBSD
   more if I had X, but I'm short on disk space. Guess it's time to
   finagle a gigabyte drive. But it seems silly to tack ever-more-
   futuristic drives onto an ever-more-obsolete computer. Besides, when
   I want to use UNIX, I might as well use my university account, so I
   can later access my files from anywhere or put them on the web.

I have MacBSD 1.1 and a minimal X installed on a MacII with a 40M
disk.  Between swap space and a teeny MacOS partition, MacBSD gets
under 30M.  Right now its got 24M used.  I had to jettison lots of
timezone info, and most of the fonts for X, and of course I did not
install man pages or a compiler.  But I can start up X, twm, and
several xterms, and telnet out to more powerful machines and run
other X applications there.

If you can spare 7M and don't care about fonts, you can install X
(which you might not guess, since the gzipped X.11Mar95 file is 8.5M).
I'd be happy to send you (or anyone else short on disk space) my
stripped-down tarfile, after 10/16 (I have a grant proposal due then).

Dave W