Subject: Re: Maxapplezoom
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1996 10:32:44
[Brad Salai said]
>Have you gotten it [MaxApplZoom] to work with X? The kernel still shows
>640x480
>when it startsup, but the console and dt both find the extra space. I do see
>some about 1.2 inch horizontal lines on the right edge of the screen, but the
>console writes over them.
>
>When I start X however, it only paints a 640x480 area of the screen, and acts
>like the rest of it isn't there.
>
>Did you have to set X up to find the bigger area?

I never tried X with it.  I suspect that the problem is that everybody is
figuring out how to get directly into the card ROM's in order to support
non-Apple displays.  MaxApplZoom works by modifying all the OS tables after
boot is underway.  The booter and DT work by looking at MacOS, while X
looks directly at the card.  Or so it would appear.

Since MaxApplZoom modifies the hardware timing, and nothing else changes it
back, it seems like it wouldn't take much to make X use the extra space.
Don't ask me how though.