Subject: Re: Disklabel(5)/(8) ??
To: None <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1996 22:21:09
>And: I need a disklabel on the floppy if I want to put a file system
>onto it. Sure, you could always fake it in the kernel the way it is done
>for SCSI disks now. But support is there and (with minor tweaks) even
>operative, and you can have both: The kernel first looks for a MacOS
>magic number, then for *BSD counterpart.

Can't you pretty much skip the disklabel on the floppys? It seems to me that
floppy disks aren't going to vary as much as SCSI disks. Why not just format
the disk and then just heap the filesystem onto the floppy like it's one
big partition?

Am I mistaken or is this the way most Unices handle floppies?

BTW, what kind of ioctls can we expect for a floppy, if I might be so bold?
We'll have to start porting hfsutils :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill