Subject: Re: Frustrations trying to install 1.2, or Why Is "mkfs" Trashing My Disk
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1996 12:21:10
At 8:56 PM 10/2/96, Greg Earle wrote:
>Howdy MacBSD folks ...

Howdy, nice to see someone else from JPL on this list.  I respect your use
of a private email address, even if I'm not so careful myself.

I'm still trying to find a spare II for the purpose at the Lab.  My home
machine keeps getting detoured for more important things like finding a job
(this one, thank God).  And helping a friend of my wife's find a job (in
process).

>I'm normally a NetBSD/SPARC personage and a sometime dabbler with NetBSD/i386
>on a Pentium 120 upstairs ... but having just acquired a hand-me-down Mac IIci
>for my office, naturally the first order of business was to install NetBSD 1.2
>on it.

I don't think I can help much with your specific problems, but I can make
some general comments:

I don't think the partition map changed between A/UX 2 vice 3.  The
preferred partition order created by the A/UX formatter puts the HFS
partition after everything except the user slice 3 and free partitions.
(This actually seemed to matter at one time.  Don't know why.)  MacBSD can
only handle 8 Unix partitions/disk, but will (now) scan some huge number of
other types looking for them.

The extra driver partition AFAIK is to hold a PPC-native disk driver.  You
should be able to do without it on a IIci even with the new SCSI manager.
Mo Hanrahan (the nominal JPL expert in such matters) recommends sticking
with System 7.1 for 68000-based Mac's and leaving 7.5.x for the PPC
systems.  It seems crisper than 7.5.3.  YMMV.

Someone announced an experimental internal video kernel with the SBC
driver.  I forget the particulars.  Could someone on the list please point
Greg at it?  I presume it will work on a IIci.

In any case the most common MacBSD display is the good old "Toby" frame
buffer card from Apple (and its descendants).  You can even use MaxApplZoom
to squeeze 704 X 512 pixels out of it.