Subject: Using an Archive Viper QIC-150 drive w/NetBSD 1.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Reynolds <Andrew.Reynolds@novanet.ns.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1996 13:40:40
Greetings everyone. I've run into a few minor snags in trying to get my
Viper to work reliably with NetBSD 1.2 on my IIsi. When I can read/write to
the drive, it works well, but getting that far seems to be an intermittent
proposition. Here's what the kernel (GENERICSBC-1) finds when it probes the
drive:

Oct  3 00:11:23 myname /netbsd: st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <ARCHIVE,
VIPER 150  21247, -
005> SCSI1 1/sequential removable
Oct  3 00:11:23 myname /netbsd: st0: rogue, density code 0x0, 512-byte
blocks, write-enabled

However, when I try accessing the drive, more often than not I see errors
like this:

Oct  3 00:11:23 myname /netbsd: st0(sbc0:4:0): illegal request, data = 08 20
00 00 00 20
Oct  3 00:11:23 myname /netbsd: st0: cannot set selected mode

Is there a parameter that I can modify in the kernel's scsi tape code ti fix
this? I've looked at it before, but there's no mention about customizing the
code for problem devices like this one. If someone out there has one of
these drives working normally, I'd appreciate hearing from them. Thanks.
--
Andrew Reynolds, Systems Administrator, Novanet Inc.
Andrew.Reynolds@Novanet.ns.ca