Subject: Re: Getting back to Finder
To: Doug Jones <djones@knet.gol.com>
From: Mack Nagashima <mackn@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1996 04:16:37
On 7 Oct 1996, Doug Jones wrote:

> I got NetBSD installed and successfully booted but can't figure out how to get
> back to the Mac Finder.  Is there a special command for this or once UNIX is
> booted the machine isn't running MacOS anymore and it's OK to just turn off
> the power to the machine?  Please advise.

	I think you don't quite understand what NetBSD is :)
Unlike MachTen or whatever....the UNIX system doens't run on top of the
MacOS..rather the Booter basically flushes out the MacOS from memory
completely and then boots the NetBSD system.... so you cna't get back to
the Finder while in NetBSD... Finder no longer exists in the machines'
memory....

	And to shutdown...as superuser do a "shutdown -r NOW" or reboot
or whatever...that'll reboot your machine...at least it does on my
IIsi...  not sure if it'll actually shutdown completely on other
machines...  this will sync your disk before the system goes offline...
and save you a lot of headaches later on :)

-Mack