Subject: Limited Net Access (Permissions?)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jbyler@MIT.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/04/1996 03:11:14
OK.  3 for 3 so far; let's hope this one's as easy as the last ones
were.  I thought I had ethernet up and working fine for a while.  I
had no trouble telnetting and ftping back and forth across my local
network.  Then I happened to try ftping to ftp.netbsd.org directly
from NetBSD.  I got this now-all-too-familiar message:
"ftp: connect: Permission denied"
Telnet does this:

bash# telnet zipnet.net
Trying 199.232.240.21...
telnet: connect to address 199.232.240.21: Permission denied
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied
bash#

And lynx displays the message "Error- cannot connect to remote host"
and then quits, leaving this error message behind: "lynx: Can't access
start file http://www.cc.ukans.edu/about_lynx/www_start.html"

Pinging these hosts is fine.  Telnetting or ftping from a telnet
session to a local host works, too.  I'm hoping I just overlooked
something obvious...  If someone could steer me in the right
direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Jesse