Subject: New to list...
To: NetBSD/Mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Isaac Salpeter <isaac@ticalc.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1996 21:47:29
This is my first message to the list since subscribing last week.
(woohoo!)

I've had many many odd problems in getting my SE/30 up and running.
At first I ran into the basic newbie problems (Installer 1.0 and memory
crashes, not having Mode32, not using 32-bit mode), then they got more
complex (partitioning problems, SCSI problems), and now I think I may be
close to having a Fully Operational Mothership (to quote George Clinton).

The trickiest bit is has been getting my external 2 gig Barracuda to work.
I discovered a few things about using my SE/30 with this drive:

1. Partition sizes (in blocks) need to be exact multiples of
     sectors*tracks.
2. My machine or my drive or both don't like the ncrscsi driver.
3. The mac-side Mkfs sucks. ;)

At this point things are looking good - no more screwy drive corruption
problems. Hopefully this will hold true as I install the rest of the 1.2
tarballs. (After doing about 3 full installs that were nonfunctional, I
started installing only etc12, base12, and the kernel when I was
attempting something new.)

Anyhow, I want to send my thanks to the creator of the ADBTEST-#160 kernel
for using sbc instead of ncrscsi. This is the only kernel that appears to
work.

-Isaac "NetBSD/Mac newbie" Salpeter

--
Isaac Salpeter