Subject: Re: centris & 160
To: None <sminten@comcom.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1996 13:02:33
Steve Minten wrote:

> NetBSD 1.2 (ABTEST)#160: Sun Sep. 29 21:02:32 EDT 1996
> Apple Macintosh Centris 650 (68040)
> real mem= 16777216
> avail mem= 13361152
> using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
> mrg:  skipping egret setup
> adb:  calling ADBReInit
> adb:  using II series hardware support
> adb:  cleanup: nothing returned
> adb:  ADB ReInit complete
> adb:  mapped device (8) at 2
> adb:
>
> <<<HANG>>>>

FYI:
Please let me know if I'm wrong here, but do you have a
Logitech (or other vendor) 3 button mouse on your
Centris 650?

If this is the case, I think the reason you are getting
the hang is that often the 2nd and 3rd buttons pretend
to be a second "keyboard" on the ADB bus. The problem is
that it tries to use the same ADB address as the real
keyboard, and the ADBTEST kernels don't resolve this type
of conflict yet.

I ran into this same problem using a Logitech Mouseman
when testing on a Quadra 610. After using a normal
mouse, it gets to the point of trying to mount the
root disk before it dies.

So, when testing ADBTEST kernels, the best thing to do
is to use a keyboard and one button mouse ONLY.

	--John