Subject: Internal Video Update
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/02/1996 23:25:34
Ok folks, alot of things have changed since I wrote the document that came
with the 0.x intvidtest kernels. :)

My whole design strategy has changed since then so there are going to be
some changes. For one thing, the 1.x kernels are out. I'm going straight
for the juggular and the whole package is going to come out in a 2.x version
right away.

I've discovered that my machine is almost identical, with a few enhancements,
to most other II series/LC series machines with respect to internal video
and I suspect my first batch of kernels will work with those machines.

On the development front, I've made a test kernel that can sucessfully alter
the CLUT and detect the monitor type. I still have a few bugs to fix on
depth switching and depth detection but I expect to solve those problems
soon. However, the kernel I have isn't really useable. It's really more
of a "proof of concept". Basically, it attempts to report the monitor
type, switch the mode to 8 bit, and change the console background to black
and the foreground to green (my little PC joke).

What I *will* do is once I get the bugs out of the mode switching I'll
distribute a proof of concept kernel so I can find out what machines my
code is compatible with. Look for these kernels to appear in the near future.

After that test kernels I will work on making the code an actual part of
the grf driver.

As far as extending the drivers beyond the II/LC series, I am going to make
the code flexible and open so that people with real access to their video
hardware can add support. In addition, the code I have planned will easily
support the dual internal video of the PowerBooks in an "easy" manner.

As always:
Thanks for your patience!

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill