Subject: Re: Ethernet; X questions
To: None <jbyler@MIT.EDU>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1996 13:56:43
At 2:11 am -0400 29/9/96, jbyler@MIT.EDU wrote:
>Hi y'all-
>
>I've been trying to get a working NetBSD system going on my Mac IIci
>and I've run into two roadblocks.
>
>The first is ethernet.  All the FAQs and docs give detailed
>instructions for setting up PPP, but while they mention where to find
>a list of supported ethernet cards, there doesn't seem to be a how-to
>for setting up ethernet.  Could someone point me to an ethernet FAQ or
>setup script or something?  My setup is fairly standard, I think.  I
>did, FYI, try meessing with a few files in /etc, including
>/etc/hostname.ae0, but I haven't gotten anything to work yet.  Of
>course, I haven't even found a place to put in things such as my own
>IP address, either, so I wouldn't expect it to work.

Things to check for:

When you're booting up, do you see something like:

ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:68:dd:0b, type MacCon LC - A , 32k mem.

??

If so, you probably have a a supported ethernet card (SONIC chipsets are
not supported, for example).

If you try "ifconfig ae0 <ipaddress> up" - what do you see?
Now "route add default <your-gw-here>" and "route add <youripaddress>
localhost"

try ping'ing known good hosts on the net.

Any luck?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |