Subject: Ethernet; X questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jbyler@MIT.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1996 02:11:33
Hi y'all-

I've been trying to get a working NetBSD system going on my Mac IIci
and I've run into two roadblocks.

The first is ethernet.  All the FAQs and docs give detailed
instructions for setting up PPP, but while they mention where to find
a list of supported ethernet cards, there doesn't seem to be a how-to
for setting up ethernet.  Could someone point me to an ethernet FAQ or
setup script or something?  My setup is fairly standard, I think.  I
did, FYI, try meessing with a few files in /etc, including
/etc/hostname.ae0, but I haven't gotten anything to work yet.  Of
course, I haven't even found a place to put in things such as my own
IP address, either, so I wouldn't expect it to work.

The second is X.  I installed the X distribution from X.11Mar95.tgz to
start off with.  I then messed with environment variables until I
didn't get any file not found errors.  The server would start to load,
clear the screen, and then exit with the message "Connection to X
server :0.0 lost- explicit kill or server shutdown" or something very
close to that.  I tried installing the X server in
Xmacbsd.960127.tar.gz to no avail.  I also tried the server/kernel
combo from Colorkit, but the kernel is derived from a 1.1 kernel and
freezes during the booting process.  (I am using the 1.2 distribution
everything.)  At various points during my twiddling I managed to get
core dumps from an Xmacbsd (I don't know which one; I could probaly
reproduce it if it's important).  Is there a new X server compiled for
NetBSD/mac68k 1.2 around somewhere?  Or does anyone have any hints for
getting it to run?  (I never got around to installing X while I was
running 1.1, and while I'm not an utter newbie when it comes to
unices, I'm not an installation guru, either.)

Thanks in advance!