Subject: Re: IP multicast...?
To: Chris Mason <cmason@ros.res.cmu.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/25/1996 18:36:38
> [mrouted] can't enable multicast routing in kernel (operation not supported)

AFAIK mrouted is independent of whether your routers/backbone support
multicast.  There are protocols for tunneling multicast packets through
non-mbone subnets.  It sounds like the kernel was not compiled to support
multicast and the version of mrouted you have expects it to.  I am very
sure that current BSD stuff is capable of supporting multicast, but it may
not be a standard compile option.

As for whether the network you are on supports multicast, that is another
issue entirely.  I don't think that is so widespread yet.  Router upgrades
cost money.