Subject: Re: echo replies
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/25/1996 11:13:48

> For as long as I've had ppp running, I get messages like these:
>
> pppd[1240]: appear to have received our own echo-reply!
>

> I never paid them much heed, buy lately the campus I get ppp through has
> had a bad case of the packet sniffers, and someone thought this might be
> a sign that someone else was using my ppp account...  Is this a know
> bug.. is this an error to ignore?  Any thoughts?

I don't think that this error's from a stolen account. I think it usually
means that some sort of unexpected echo has happened. Does it happen
after you start the link? It might just be that the pppd on the other
end is broken.

ppp echo replies, AFAIK, don't leave the ppp connection.

I doubt packet sniffers would attack the ppp-side of a modem server. They
usually hang out on the main net and watch you log into other computers.

Somethings a bit wrong, but I don't think it's account thievery.

Take care,

Bill