Subject: Re: How to set up SLIP ?
To: Tristan Doherty <ristar@abacom.com>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/25/1996 00:27:55
At 6:07 pm 24/9/96, Tristan Doherty wrote:
>>I'm running MacBSD on an SE/30 with an ethernet card and a modem, and would
>>like to set it up as a router. I want to use the modem to connect to my
>>ISP, and then route to a TCP/IP network on the ethernet in my house. What
>>do I need to make the SLIP connection via the modem? I tried playing with
>>cu, but can't seem to get it to work (it claims the tty00 (or tty01, I
>>forget) is already in use).
>>
>>I'm a novice to MacBSD (and unix in general), so I'm not sure if I'm able
>>to compile source files if that's what is necessary (though I'd certainly
>>welcome the learning oppurtunity if someone can give me directions).
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Chris
>
>I would also be interrested in that info except for PPP.

PPP is (probably) a better bet than SLIP - I have an LCIII (very similar
machine to the SE/30) running a dial-on-demand dial-up server for me, and
it works fine.

Get your self the PPP-howto (I think you'll find it on www.macbsd.com) and
then by all means come back to the group if/when you get stuck.

Indeed, you're welcome to come back to me, but my email-turnaround time
isn't so good just now... I'm snowed under.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |