Subject: Re: ARA tunneling (semi-off-topic question)
To: straav <straav@slh.wisc.edu>
From: straav <straav@slh.wisc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/1996 13:37:32
Michael L. Kornegay writes:
>In Regards to your letter <v02140b02ae19a91a226b@[137.79.51.141]>:
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a unix PPP server (such as
>> MacBSD, although I really want to use a Solaris 2.5 machine) to provide
>> AppleTalk Remote Access between two MacOS machines running MacPPP?
>
>As far as NetBSD is concerned, I dont know but someone here will probably
>answer you.
>
>Also, as far as i know, Apple has not yet to delivered a PPP version of ARA.
[...]
>I am also interested in the answer to your question,

There is software available for MacOS that does AppleTalk-over-IP
tunneling.  There is no need for ARA.  I know of two packages,
ARNS/IPRemote and IPTnnl, which accomplish approximately the same thing
through slightly different mechanisms.  Both will allow any two macs on
the internet (or an isolated IP network) to establish an AppleTalk
connection with each other even if the link-layer network doesn't
support it.  Both are available from:
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/>

Documentation for both packages is online at:
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/doc/ARNS.userDoc>
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/doc/IPTnnl.userDoc>

Good luck,
-- monroe