Subject: Re: Extended ADB Protocol
To: Henry B. Hotz <hbhotz@oxy.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/1996 20:09:50

> At 2:21 PM 9/22/96, David Bushong wrote:
> >This term (Extended ADB Protocol) gets thrown around a lot..  I assumed
> >from the description on the three-button I just ordered (A/UX mouse
> >bindings), that the second and third buttons just "typed" option-left and
> >option-right...  Is the EADBP the same thing, or actual new "codes" for
> >the second and third buttons.  Does netbsd support the former?  (I'd
> >assume, since its the same as typing... but you never know..)
>
> >From what I remember Ken Nakata saying they are completely different.
> EADBP is an Apple "Standard" for how to do multi-button mice on the ADB.
>
> On the other hand, if the 2&3rd buttons actually pretend to be be keyboard
> operations on the ADB then they might still work.  If a special MacOS
> driver is installed to do the translation then they probably won't because
> the driver doesn't stay around under BSD.

Some of them (mine, for example) work even under NetBSD. Here's what booting
says is on my mac:

adb: keyboard at 2
adb: 100 dpi mouse at 3
adb: extended keyboard at 15

The keyboard at adb 2 is a fake; it's really part of the mouse. So the mouse
will send option-left or option-right when I press a key. It'll send it via
the keyboard at 2.

The MacOS driver for this mouse will permit me to change what each key does,
but nothing else as I understand it.

Take care,

Bill