Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 and Color X
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1996 22:26:18
>If you need a tester using a IIci, I can probably oblige :)
>
>I have a fairly current 1.2_beta image, and plan on getting sup running
>sometime soon.

Your help will be immesurable! Let me take the time to explain how this is
going to work:

When 2.x comes out the first 2.0 will be a IIvx-only release. This is becuase
I only have access to my IIvx. However, I'm going try to code the initial 2.0
release with flexible data structures to allow for different mac video types.
After the IIvx releases are stable, I have four options:

1. Make a "hack pack" that contains programs that probe hardware on the Mac
side to reveal rudimentary information and MacsBug hint docs for more
advanced information.

2. Make code releases to competent coders with different hardware and have
them extend the code and pass it back to me so I can merge it in for an
official intvid release.

3. A mixture of 1 and 2.

4. Release the code completely publicly after 2.0 IIvx video is stable.

I'm leaning toward #3 since choice #2 eases the slow turnaround experienced
in 0.x and it lets users hack into their hardware, and #1 allows me to help
out people with no technical experience and no competant coders for their
machine.

I'm kind of shy about #4 because this could lead to utter chaos. If #2 is done
when the coders have stable code going we can have one finished grf_iv driver
and machdep.c patch block for the official source tree. #4 would require
people just throwing stuff at the official tree.

A quick comment about internal video:
While the internal videos of most of the Macs have special features of one
sort or another (hardware gamma, multiple video pages, mirroring, etc.)
a cursory examination of the block diagrams of most machines seems to indicate
they all should work similarly on a register level. I was quite surprised how
much my stock IIvx video controller and clut controller work like a PowerMac
7100's video and clut controller. Not 100% the same, but very similar. While
this may be coincidental the block diagrams seem to confirm my suspicions.

I'm sure some machines will be quite different (like some Powerbooks, the IIsi,
etc.) but I will try to leave enough room in the hardware datastructures for
even the weirdest models. :)

Anyway, that's the story.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill