Subject: Re: Porting plans for Quadra/Centrises
To: Steven Campbell <Steven_Campbell@magic.ca>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1996 22:45:28

> What I wanted to know is how helpful has Apple been in providing
> technical information about the low-level hooks ... in the Quadras.
> My suspicions tell me they haven't been too helpful at all.
> What I don't understand is how could it hurt them to provide this
> information to us?

	I think it is a simple cost thing. They are probably not willing
to give us copies of the source code, so it will cost them to present
this low-level information is such a way as we can use it.

> What I'd like to do is start a campaign so that Apple can start helping
> us out like they're helping out the people who are porting Linux to the
> Power Macs.

	There was a business case here. A list of people said that they
would buy PowerMacs if Linux was available to run on it. Future sales offset
the cost involved in helping the Linux developers.

	There is no business case in helping Unix ports to old machines.
It won't generate new hardware or software sales (though it would increase
goodwill!)

--
 | Nigel Pearson, Telstra IND, Sydney     | "Now the world has gone to bed, |
 | Email: nigel@ind.tansu.com.au          |  Darkness won't engulf my head, |