Subject: Re: MacBSD opinion requested... Please respond if request is unwelcome
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Campbell <Steven_Campbell@magic.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1996 17:29:10
Toni, my Quadra 650  ( I call it that because that's what it reports
itself as under System 7.1 or TattleTech, and because I pilfered a
Quadra 650 label for the case, so you'd literally have to pop the hood
on it to know the difference, it has this ugly white-wire kind of
mutant oscillator growing out of the logic board ) runs the MacOS just
great, but as far as booting MacBSD, it's a dud.  It finds the kernel (
ADBTEST #139 ), and i've installed the Miniroot, but the machine gets
as far as initing the Apple Desktop Bus, finds the keyboard, and then
the machine panics, with an illegal instruction.  It gets to skipping
egret setup, calling ADBReInit, using II series hardware support,
cleanup: nothing returned, ADBReInit complete, mapped device (8) at 2,
then gives the contents of the processor's registers, and then panic:
illegal instruction, stopped at _Debugger=0x6: unlk a6.
Then, when you touch any key ( they do work, though!!! ) either the
machine crashes, or if you leave it long enough, the machine is totally
hung, and the keyboard doesn't work.  If the keyboard still works when
you crash it, you can type in kernel debugger commands, so the ADB
definitely does work in this machine, just there's something nasty
about the particular kernel I'm using, I think.

I've done a lot to try to fix this problems, and it's starting to annoy
me,  because I read about other people getting Miniroot to work on
their machines.

I have tried System 7.5.1, 7.5.3, System 7.1, System 7.1 with HSU 3.0,
and reinitialized my hard disks, used different formatting software (
started out with FWB Hard Disk Toolkit vers. 1.7.5, then reverted to
Apple HD SC Setup ( for A/UX vers. 3.1.1 ) Then I removed the clock
clip to bring it back to life as a CENTRIS 650, then reclocked it again
to run at 42 MHz. And finally I swapped keyboards, used an old Apple
keyboard II, and one of those old squared off mice that apple made up
until about 1992.

This machine runs really well at its top speed, 42 MHz, as long as you
don't try to use the serial ports.  The machine won't hang, but it'll
just return junk characters if it's trying to talk to the modem.
Everything else works great.  The machine has a fan glued to the
heatsink ( it'll freeze if you don't put one on after about 20 minutes
).  and it tests out to have faster video, CPU, and FPU functions than
a Quadra 840AV.   It'll be a great machine if I ever get it up and
running properly under NetBSD.

Steven Campbell