Subject: Porting plans for Quadra/Centrises
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Campbell <Steven_Campbell@magic.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1996 17:02:41
I've been trying to put this one into words for a few months now ( ever
since I got my SE/30 going with netbsd, and proved to colleagues that
yes, Macs can run a *real* UNIX too.
What I wanted to know is how helpful has Apple been in providing
technical information about the low-level hooks that the MacOS uses to
talk to Mac hardware, such as NuBus interrupts in the Quadra series, or
the way they talk to the NCR 53c96 in the Quadras.
My suspicions tell me they haven't been too helpful at all.
What I don't understand is how could it hurt them to provide this
information to us?  It's not like we'll abandon Apple and their
operating systems by porting something like Windoze to run on our
machines ( as if ).
What I'd like to do is start a campaign so that Apple can start helping
us out like they're helping out the people who are porting Linux to the
Power Macs.  They have already said publicly that they have no plans
currently ( possibly ever!!! ) to support 68k based Macs.
And we'd like a helping hand.

Steven Campbell