Subject: Re: Printing: PowerPrint hardware ?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1996 23:31:18
>/dev/lp? I don't think we (mac68k) have it. But other than that, if
>you set the baud rate correctly, then you should just be able to
>cat to the file. :-)

Heh. Which reminds me. If anybody has any interest in adding an lp parallel
driver then might I recommend working on the National Instruments NB-PRL
board. It comes fully documented for programmers and is about the simplest
Nu-Bus card I have ever seen. It's a parallel controller chip, a ROM, a
few gates and a DB-25 port. :) Another company called Creative solutions
makes a parallel card called the Hurdler-CPI which looks just as simple
but I don't think it's a well documented. The NB-PRL was made to be programmed
on the register level.

Both those cards are fully bi-directional cards so a well written driver
could open up the gates for all that PC-Parallel stuff like parallel
ethernet drivers which I have seen for BSD. Possibly useful if the simplicity
of the parallel cards cuts through all the interrupt problems with ethernet
cards. That, and it's just darned interesting :)

Strangely enough I might be able to save an NB-PRL from being round-filed from
where I work. Unfortunately, I can't find the docs :( but I suppose Nat.Inst.
will sell a replacement copy.

I'd love to do this project but I currently have 7 other projects in front
of this one. Ya know, little things like color internal video :) :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill