Subject: Printing: PowerPrint hardware ?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Schmiedl <101321.3101@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1996 15:08:00
I feel like a printer demon,
because every once in a while
I turn my head up and ask for help using printers...

The situation is:
SE/30 with 32MB, Quantum Lightning 730 (ncrscsi running fine, thank you)
NetBSD 1.1 Generic #7.

With the help of Monroe Williams I can use my StyleWriter for
printing bitmap images created for example by ghostscript.
But using this high quality rendering for read, curse, improve,
throw away program listings is, well, tedious.

So I snatched a NEC Pinwriter P7 (very wide, A3 paper landscape)
from a friend who does not use it anymore and tried to get it to
work on my Mac. Since there is no serial interface option installed,
I may decide to buy PowerPrint from GDT Softworks.

Besides thousands of drivers for zillions of printers the package
contains a cable which seems to hold a device for transforming
the serial data output by the Mac to the parallel stuff wanted by
the P7.

Now I wonder, if the P7 connected with this cable will be a
plain and simple /dev/lp or not, i.e. will the following command
produce the expected results?

cat listing.f83 > /dev/tty01

(yeah, this is not the politically correct way of printing,
but I want to emphasize that there are no intermediate filters)

PS: Please do not reply more than 100 times, since this is the  :-)
limit of my Compu$erve mailbox, and I will check again next     :-)
Wednesday, since I am away for the next days.                   :-)

Thanks,
Stefan

101321.3101@compuserve.com