Subject: Re: What does OpenBSD mean for us?
To: None <jerabek@rm6208.gud.siemens.co.at>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1996 15:39:41
On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Martin "Jerry" Jerabek wrote:

> Since there is no Mac-specific
> OpenBSD kernel only the user-land (is that the right term for
> non-kernel stuff?) sources are interesting.

There would/will be some contention of that assertion.  There have been a
number of machine-independent kernel changes, as well.  Having said that,
I would recommend against using them, however; the VM swap leak "fix" has
problems that can cause your system to panic in a relatively short time.

> Can I simply compile the
> OpenBSD stuff and use it? Can I mix Open- and NetBSD tools?

I'm not aware of any technical reason why you can't.

> Are the
> OpenBSD tools "better" (less bugs, more features, more secure, etc.)
> than their NetBSD counterparts as Mr. d e R a a d t claims ?

As you point out, that is the claim.  While there may be specific
instances where this is true, my cursory examination of the code and the
manner in which it is integrated don't give me any warm fuzzies -- I
believe that it is extremely important to engineer solutions.  (Note
that it's very difficult to give you a technical answer to such a
question. :-)

> Has anyone used
> OpenBSD on a Mac?

I have not.

> I don't want to join the Open/NetBSD flame war which sometimes rages in
> the *bsd newsgroups so all non-technical comments are silently
> discarded but this mailing list is suspiciously free of personal
> attacks or insults anyway. :-)

I hope it stays that way. :-)

--scott