Subject: Re: What does OpenBSD mean for us?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1996 15:46:02
Not meaning to turn this into openbsd-mac68k@netbsd.org, but are any of the
things like interrupt handling conflicts that affect video and ethernet, or
color X support, further along in OpenBSD than in NetBSD?

>> I know this is some kind of religious/emotional issue
>
>Only for some people.
>
>> OpenBSD affect us users of Net/MacBSD?
>
>That depends...  I see it as a chance to get more people hacking on the
>system which should help NetBSD.  I'd like the resources on www.macbsd.com
>to be available for people using either NetBSD or OpenBSD.
>
>> Since there is no Mac-specific OpenBSD kernel only the user-land
>
>That's not quite true.  There are no mac-specific changes to the kernel.
>There are m.i. kernel changes that make the mac OpenBSD kernel different
>from the NetBSD kernel.
>
>> Can I simply compile the OpenBSD stuff and use it?
>
>You should be able to.  You might run into problems with the
>kernel-grovelling applications unless you're running an OpenBSD
>kernel.
>
>> Are the OpenBSD tools "better" (less bugs, more features, more secure, etc.)
>
>That is, of course, a matter of opinion.  There are a lot more changes
>going into OpenBSD relating to some aspects of security.  NetBSD is also
>progressing.  Perhaps faster than it would without OpenBSD--perhaps not.
>
>> Has anyone used OpenBSD on a Mac?
>
>Yes.  In fact, puma.macbsd.com is currently running OpenBSD.  Note that
>this is not meant to be a political statement in any way, shape or form.
>
>> but this mailing list is suspiciously free of personal
>> attacks or insults anyway. :-)
>
>Let's keep it that way, please!  :-)
>
>-allen
>
>--
>              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                          Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                          email bsalai@servtech.com
Rochester, NY 14614