Subject: Re: Read-only file system?
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1996 12:18:37
On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Dan Bell wrote:

> Unless I miss my guess, you've booted into single-user mode. Boot
> multi-user, log in as root, and hack away. Alternatively, there is a
> mount command (which I don't remember at the moment), which will remount
> the filesystem read-write in single user mode, but I think the first way
> is the "right" way to do things.

Kinda depends, really.  Overall, yeah, I guess.

Single user is good when you are...

A. editing network files so that your multi-user will be networked,
B. running fsck to check your partition (always recommended immediately
   after installation),
C. not networked and don't care about networking and don't want to
   waste the processing juice on the network daemons.

'Course you can always edit the inetd configuration files and send inetd
a... SIGTERM, is it?

It's always a good idea when you first install to boot into single user
and run fsck manually with a read-only filesystem.  That's because... at
least in my experience, sometimes the MacOS-side utilities don't quite get
everything right....  I haven't had the problems for a while, though, they
may have been fixed, or they may be configuration dependent.  Regardless,
it's a good idea in principle....  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |