Subject: Re: HD corruption; mkfs; Ethernet
To: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1996 12:09:50
> newfs vs. mkfs: I did newfs on my partitions, and the Installer mini-shell
> won't mount it due to: bad ino 2 at 0 (or something like that). I ran mkfs
> (from MacOS) and it mounted it like a champ. The partitions (root, usr)
> work just fine when I boot then to run NetBSD when made with newfs.
> Installer doesn't seem to like it (Installer 1.1)

That's a known problem no one's decided to fix. The problem is that
there are different ffs levels (version numbers). newfs will make a
level 2 by default, but the installer only knows about level 1
filesystems. NetBSD's happy with level 1 systems (though they can't
be used in union mounts).

Take care,

Bill