Subject: HD corruption; mkfs; Ethernet
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1996 12:55:47
HD corruption: It seems as tho it's only been certain Quantum HD's. Has
anyone had any problems with drives other than the Quantums? I have a
small Fujitsu that is now my root & swap and it's been running great. My
usr was on my Trailblazer, and it got corrupted (/usr/libexec structure).
That was with 1.1 release and upgraded kernel to 1.2Beta Generic #67. I'm
rebuilding root & usr on the Trailblazer with the current snapshot (jul
26), and going to move the root back over to the Fujitsu. I've tried the
sbc kernel in the past, but I just get a blank white screen at the point
where the kernel takes over.
   Another observation of the corruption problem; I was sitting in MacOS
with the Booter open (waiting for me to decide what to do), and I heard
the Trailblazer reset. Not sure why. There was no disk activity. This
brings up the question, could it be the firmware on the Quantums that are
giving us the problems? I have an old Quantum-250 (40MB that came with the
Mac II) that has been retired due to resetting all the time in MacOS
(quite frequent). I have a Seagate 450 that has had absolutely no problems
under MacOS (no room for NetBSD).

newfs vs. mkfs: I did newfs on my partitions, and the Installer mini-shell
won't mount it due to: bad ino 2 at 0 (or something like that). I ran mkfs
(from MacOS) and it mounted it like a champ. The partitions (root, usr)
work just fine when I boot then to run NetBSD when made with newfs.
Installer doesn't seem to like it (Installer 1.1)

Apple Ethernet Card (original): Once in a while when doing large xfers, I
get ring overruns. Things seem to carry on fine. Is this something to
worry about?

Apple 40MB SCSI Tape drive: Any support for this old thing? Got one
sitting here and would like to use it. Tried to make a device for it, but
it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Greg Putrich - Internet: gregp@primenet.com                       [skeezix]
Public Key 27E97EBD = 62 0E B9 A2 45 D2 64 AC 8A B4 6D 9D 5B 23 90 1F

               An fsck a day keeps the core dump away