Subject: Re: QUANTUM LP105S HD problem
To: Christopher T. Crawford <bigbird@cyberdrive.net>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1996 23:33:34
At 16:06 Uhr 10.09.1996, Christopher T. Crawford wrote:

>>Some kernels seem to pop up drive related messages like these at random;
>>I've seen them for all the hard disks I used (the LPS 105, a Snailblazer
>>850 and an Empire 1080 - all Quantum). The driver has some communication
>>problem here, it seems.

[...]

>Many SCSI cards (IBM Clone domain) don't support newer Quantum drives.  I
>got an Empire 1080S and had to get a new SCSI BIOS just to support what DTC
>said was "a problem addressing certain Quantum HDs."  Someone may need to
>contact Quantum to see how these drives are different from standard SCSI.

In fact this problem with (some) Quantum HDs is "well known". There were
incompatibilities between the NCR 810 controller for PCI and Quantum disks
some two or three years ago; the Empire also had problems with some newer
(Power) Macintoshes. So you wouldn't want to get a used one - it was
obsoleted by the Fireball, anyway.

But these problems do not affect older (68K) Macs; Apple itself has shipped
its boxes with Quantum drives for years. The three mentioned disks have
ever run reliably here with an SE (Q105), SE/30 (all three) and a Q700 (all
three).

So, if one kernel spits out "<something scsi> 4 returned nonsense using
ficticous geometry" and another doesn't, I feel more suspicious about the
kernel than the drive...

	hauke

---