Subject: Re: QUANTUM LP105S HD problem
To: Tom Kelly <tom@lyndewode.co.uk>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1996 17:29:46
Hi y'all,

At 22:18 Uhr 09.09.1996, Tom Kelly wrote:

[...]

>However when booting just before the partition is mounted the kernal
>complains that:
>"<something scsi> 4 returned nonsense using ficticous geometry"

That <something ...> might have been interesting and relevant. ;-)

Some kernels seem to pop up drive related messages like these at random;
I've seen them for all the hard disks I used (the LPS 105, a Snailblazer
850 and an Empire 1080 - all Quantum). The driver has some communication
problem here, it seems.

>I also note that Hauke Fath in a message to this group said he had problems
>with a Quantum LPS 105; he said he got it working again but how?

I assume you are using a standard kernel with ncrscsi driver; the kernels
that I built with this driver after mid May all show a fatal tendency of
crashing the stuff started from /etc/rc (like /usr/libexec/ld.so :-( ).

This problem is still present in -current (as verified last night...) and
will most probably make it to 1.2 Release. It is definitely not caused by
the LPS 105 S and will go away if you switch to an SBC kernel.

Just don't bring such a kernel near an MO drive ;-)

	hauke

---