Subject: Re: IIsi Hard drive problem
To: Tom Kelly <tom@lyndewode.co.uk>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1996 09:39:28
On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Tom Kelly wrote:

>    I've been trying to install netBSD onto a Mac IIsi.
> I can boot kernals and the appear at first to work.
> However after a couple of commands I get the following
> sorts of messages:
> * segmentation fault - core dumped

With the exception of my own programs (rare) I've only hit this once, that
was with a 1.2 kernel.

> * feelist error (blah blah; VM address garbage
> the system then becomes unworkable with widespread file
> corruption; fsck does not rectify the problem.

> This is not isolated to just the standard 1.1 and 1.2beta
> kernals. I get it with SBCkernals (although the error messages
> are different in exact wording) too.

SBC should be 1.2_BETA also.

You do have a swap partition, right?  20 Megs or twice the memory in the
computer, whichever is greater?  How much memory do you have?  And out of
curiosity only, which booter version are you using?

Here's another thought:

Next time things go crazy, type df.  Check your partitions and make sure
nothing is listed as being 100% full or more.  NetBSD seems to have
trouble dealing with people filling up too much of its 10% hidden
overhead, or at least it did a couple of months ago....

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |