Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/07/1996 10:45:53
On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Hauke Fath wrote:

> Looks like I can reproduce the fault at will, doesn't it?

It certainly does.  I hope someone can explain how the driver is managing
to do this, actually.  Perhaps a "reset at an embarassing moment" is
really what's happening here.

I think I must repeat that I don't recommend the sbc driver except in
specific circumstances.  Namely, that (a) you're running on a "hard" disk,
and (b) you're experiencing random filesystem corruption with the ncrscsi
driver.  This driver is a work in progress, and while I hope to make it
the primary SCSI driver for 5380-based Macs, I cannot support that move
right now.

I can assure you that I am not ignoring the sbc driver, but as it is not a
critical cog in the 1.2 release effort, it is certainly getting a little
less attention than I would like.  I can't speak for the ncrscsi driver,
as I haven't been following it well; I am afflicted with all sorts of
problems when I try to use it on rare occasions.

SO anyway, is there anybody with an MO drive that they're not using (or
not much) that is willing to loan it to me for the purpose of making the
sbc driver work?

--scott