Subject: Re: Fwd: SBC probs
To: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Chris Mason <cmason@nando.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1996 00:05:54
At 7:53 PM 9/5/96, Ben Cottrell wrote:
>FWB Hard Disk Toolkit seems to be the best package out there for doing
>this kind of thing; do you have it or an equivalent? I'd say to get it
>to verify the disk... pull out all the stops, like get it to do alternating,
>sequential, and random reads, writes, and verifies... and let it run for
>a *long* time... like maybe a couple of days or so. The aim is to try and
>tease the errors out by sneaking up on them many times from many different
>angles, and it takes a while.

Well the strange part is I did this after the problem first appeared.  With
FWB and several other utils after low-level reformatting twice.  Not for
days but at least 5 hours.  FWB completed all the tests you listed above.
I then installed a BSD partition and reinstalled MacBSD.  It worked great
for about a week and then the problem reappeared.

Its all very strange.

Once I figure out what is going on, I'll probably end up doing exactly what
you said again

Thanks for the advice.

-c

|Christopher Mason - cmason@nyx.net  cmason@nando.net  cmason@cmu.edu |
|"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|