Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1996 13:33:11
Space Case wrote:

> On Sep 3,  3:11pm, "John P. Wittkoski" wrote:
> >Just to throw in my datapoint and further confuse things:
> >
> >This weekend I upgraded my kernel to the newer sources and had a
> >lot of wierd disk problems.
>
> Twice recently, I've tried to upgrade to a newer kernel.  Both times,
> my sources disk has suffered serious damage.  I'm staying with an older
> kernel (NFS_22), at least until 1.2 is released.  This is one of the
> rare times that what I have up for ftp is _not_ what I'm running.
> (I do run -current binaries, though.)

Ok, a followup: I used an older kernel to boot last night, and
rebuilt a new kernel with sbc ENABLED and ncrscsi DISABLED. My
disk problems disappeared!

So, to summarize:
1. The old ncrscsi driver (May-ish) worked fine. (That was the
   last time I was -current)
2. The newer ncrscsi driver (-current) causes strange, random disk
   error, including lost inodes, and supposidly "bad blocks",
   although they never show up as bad on subsequent checks.
3. The sbc (-current) works, apparently without problems.

We'll see what happens when I move things to a larger hard
drive soon.

	--John