Subject: Re: Bob's questions on PPP
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1996 13:29:49
> I feel I should jump in here and comment on something.
>
> Different service providers have different ways of "logging you in"
> when you connect using PPP. They both need chat scripts to dial
> the remote system. However, their way of "authenticating" you is
> different. The two common ways are:
>
> 1. (use a login name and password)

> 2. (use CHAP or PAP)
>
> With a few minor changes, the scripts that come with the
> ppp.setup.tar.gz distribution will work with service providers
> that user method #2. Right now I don't have changes to the
> actual scripts with me, but the main things that need to
> be changed are:

[snip]

> If there is heavy interest in this, as I suspect there is,
> I could be persuaded to modify the existing ppp.setup.tar.gz
> distribution to include these changes.

The ppp.setup.tar.gz needs a re-work. It would be good to get it out
of my home directory on puma, for one thing! Also, adding CHAP/PAP
support would be good. I'd also like to add some of the changes I've
come up with to support two ppp connections at once (ppp to my ISP
and to my SE/30), as a prelude to someone running the firewall kit.

Also, some people who used the setup earlier said they would work
on a FAQ for it. Including it would help a lot too. (Even if they
could send parts of a FAQ, that would help!)

It really needs to be integrated into the online info in the rest of
the FAQ.

So additions would be appreciated!

Take care,

Bill