Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Chris Mason <cmason@nando.net>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1996 15:11:02
Chris Mason wrote:

> At 4:15 PM 8/31/96, "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]"
> <davagatw@mars.utm.edu wrote:
> >On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, John P. Wittkoski wrote:
> >> I have noticed on my system that NetBSD seems to be less tolerant
> >> of SCSI chain problems (impedence problem with old cables, and
> >
> >I had the same type of problem with my PowerMac 7100.  'Course that
> >doesn't help the PB145, which had those read errors without any external
> >drives attached.  Strange....
>
> My system also has nothing external attached.  Should I try another ribbon
> cable??  I'll try anything at this point.  I'm about an inch away from
> trying the "glide ratio" method (height above ground vs. how many pieces).

If you don't have any external drives, the cable is probably NOT
the problem.

Just to throw in my datapoint and further confuse things:

This weekend I upgraded my kernel to the newer sources and had a
lot of wierd disk problems. If I boot into single user mode and run
fsck,
the FIRST time it's run, it almost always claims it can't read one of
the blocks (soft read error, I believe). If I run fsck again
immediately,
I do NOT have any problems. The next time I boot and run fsck, I will
AGAIN
get a report of not being able to read some block, although it is a
differnt block number than before.

This has probably been mentioned before, but in the file.mac68k there
are two "Options" for SCSI. Do we enable/disable one or the other simply
my commenting out the appropriate 3 lines and rebuilding the kernel?
What
happens if all options are NOT commented out, as in -current?

	--John