Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1996 08:51:19
On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> > To throw in another POV, I've had similar problems with my brand-spanking-
> > new (Quantum) internal drive on my PB145, both with NCRSCSI and sbc,
> > but the drive checks out fine.
>
> I think it's crucial to point out that the disk corruption that Chris is
> talking about is "physical," i.e. medium errors.  This is not the same as
> data corruption, which a couple people have reported.  The latter is why I
> even started working on the sbc SCSI driver in the first place (and is
> something I hope to continue soon).

I, too, had data only problems until upgrading my kernel.  I was
originally using a generic from early this year, then tried an intvidtest
and started geting media errors.  If I have time this weekend, I'll switch
back and see if things return to normal (bad inodes, not read errors).
The only difference I notice compared to the aforementioned 20 blocks is
that I believe I had many more than that.  About two or three minutes of
...BAD.  Continue?  I'll switch back to Generic #7 I think.  Or better
yet, adbtest 110 so I'll be using the same one as the IIsi here in my
father's office.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |