Subject: Re: SBC probs
To: Chris Mason <cmason@nando.net>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1996 13:44:21
>At 4:15 PM 8/31/96, "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]"
><davagatw@mars.utm.edu wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, John P. Wittkoski wrote:
>>> I have noticed on my system that NetBSD seems to be less tolerant
>>> of SCSI chain problems (impedence problem with old cables, and
>>
>>I had the same type of problem with my PowerMac 7100.  'Course that
>>doesn't help the PB145, which had those read errors without any external
>>drives attached.  Strange....
>
>My system also has nothing external attached.  Should I try another ribbon
>cable??  I'll try anything at this point.  I'm about an inch away from
>trying the "glide ratio" method (height above ground vs. how many pieces).
>
>Thanks
>
>-c

It might be worth it; I have had similar 'unexplainable' disk errors - in
my case under MacOS in fact - which are on a known good hard disk (it works
on my other mac) and a known good SCSI bus (it can copy from the CD fine)
which are cable related - I haven't entirely solved them, but I can improve
the situation by using a better quality cable.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |                               |  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The 'net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it.     |