Subject: SCSI errors
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1996 20:42:23
Have some strange problems and wondering if anyone has an idea what's
going on.

Equipment: Mac II, 8MB. 810MB internal Quantum, 40MB external Fujitsu,
external single-speed Toshiba CD-ROM.

The first problem I had, is that I would occasionally get a ncrscsi error
(different ones) and eventually my fs became corrupted beyond repair.
After repartitioning (separate root & usr now. Before they were together),
I haven't gotten the errors as before. With extended use of a device (like
grep a really large file (>2MB) or many files in a subdir), the SCSI bus
is reset then a bunch of errors of the device not being ready (as expected
with the bus being reset). This only happens on the CD-ROM and the 810MB
drive. The old 40MB works with no errs. I can grep a 3MB file many times
with no errs on the ol' 40MB. Usually can't make it thru a file that size
on the 810.

I used to use the 1.1 Generic #47 kernel, then decided to upgrade (due to
possible scsi driver problems) to 1.1B Generic #7. I did the above test in
#7. #47 was what I was using when my fs got corrupted last time. #47 also
had the same errors as above with grep'ing large files.

In regular use, things seem fine.

I tried to rearrange devices and switch the terminators, but to no avail.

Is it my drives, the scsi driver, or a combination of both?
Greg Putrich - Internet: gregp@primenet.com                          [PINE]
Public Key 27E97EBD = 62 0E B9 A2 45 D2 64 AC 8A B4 6D 9D 5B 23 90 1F

                   So much time... so little to do.